Courtesy St. Michael’s Sports Information
SOUTH BURLINGTON –– Behind five third-period goals, the Saint Michael’s College men’s ice hockey team netted the final six goals of the game to rally for a 7-2 victory over Stonehill College during Tuesday evening’s Northeast-10 Conference showdown at Cairns Arena. The Purple Knights moved into a tie for first place with the win.
· Saint Michael’s (3-7-1, 3-1-1 NE10), Stonehill (2-7, 1-4 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL’S LEADERS
· Senior Nic Hermary (Coquitlam, British Columbia/Melfort Mustangs), 2 goals
· Sophomore Cameron Stewart (Sabattus, Maine/East Coast Wizards), 2 goals
· Sophomore Sel Narby (Huntington, N.Y./Connecticut Junior Rangers), 1 goal, 2 assists, 1 block, +2
· Sophomore Thomas Flack (Toronto, Ontario/Saint Michael’s Buzzers), 2 assists
· Sophomore Ethan Hendrickson (Budd Lake, N.J./New Jersey Rockets), 1 goal
· First-year Matt Egan (Hingham, Mass./Kimball Union Academy), 1 goal
· Senior Sam D’Antuono (Hingham, Mass./Dexter School), 1 assist, 10-for-20 on faceoffs
· First-year Andy Ide (Barrington, R.I./Cushing Academy), 1 assist (first career), 11-for-20 on faceoffs
· Junior Tim Decker (Liverpool, N.Y./Canterbury School), 22 saves
· Junior Colin Quinn, 1 goal
· Junior Cameron Wright, 1 goal
· Junior Zachary Frament, 4 blocks
· Senior Billy Palmer, 29 saves in 45:45
· Junior Matthew Schoen, 8 saves in 14:15 of relief
· Hermary registered his second consecutive two-goal game. Stewart had his first career multi-goal game.
· Saint Michael’s moved into a tie with Southern New Hampshire University for first place in the NE10, with tonight’s game the final league affair for any NE10 squad until Jan. 11.
· Final home game of the first semester for Saint Michael’s.
· The Purple Knights are 33-17-1 all-time against the Skyhawks.
· The Purple Knights outshot the Skyhawks 44-24, including 35-14 in the final two periods. Saint Michael’s also held a 44-30 advantage in faceoffs and was 3-for-5 on the power play.
· Nine separate players recorded assists for the Purple and Gold with Ide and fellow first-year Andrew DeCristoforo (Medway, Mass./South Shore Kings) each posting their first career assists.
· The Purple Knights broke through at the 6:49 mark in the first period as Narby picked up an initial shot by sophomore Paul McAuliffe (Newton, Mass./Kimball Union Academy), skated around the goal and shot from the left goal line off of Palmer’s pad and in.
· The Skyhawks made it 1-1 4:55 into the second when junior Jack Hall found Wright in the slot, and Wright rifled a shot into the top left corner.
· The Skyhawks then took a 2-1 advantage at 12:54 when Quinn deflected first-year Tim Grable’s shot from the blue line past Decker.
· Hermary tied the game at the 14:36 mark, ripping a one-timer from the left circle into the top right corner off a feed from Flack.
· Stonehill was whistled for a major penalty late in the second period, and the Purple Knights scored the winner and an insurance tally during the five-minute power play. Egan stuffed home a loose puck in the crease off of shots from Flack and Narby 56 seconds into the third for the go-ahead tally.
· Stewart then scored back-to-back goals 15 seconds apart to extend the Purple Knight lead, with the first one coming at 3:41 mark on the power play on a snipe from the right circle. The second one came after his centering pass was redirected by a Stonehill skater past the goalie.
· Hermary netted his second goal on a power play with 5:45 gone, wristing a shot past Palmer from the left circle. Hendrickson then added his first goal of the season at 11:17, scorching a shot from the right circle directly off of Ide’s faceoff win.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL’S GAME
· Saturday at Nichols College, 4:40 p.m.
· Nichols is receiving votes toward the latest United States College Hockey Online (USCHO) Division III national poll.