Men’s Hockey: BU Gets Weekend Split, Tops UVM 4-0

Courtesy Vermont Sports Information

BURLINGTON – 12th-ranked Vermont saw its seven-game unbeaten streak come to an end on Saturday night in front of another sellout crowd at Gutterson Fieldhouse as No. 5 Boston University shut out the Catamounts 4-0 to earn a Hockey East weekend split.

UVM suffered its first loss in over a month, dropping to 10-4-2 overall and 5-3-1 in Hockey East play, while the Terriers improved to 9-5-2 and 4-2-2 in the league.

BU struck first just past the midway point of the first period through its checking line. Oskar Andren threw a fluttering shot on goal from the right point, and Chase Phelps muscled the rebound through the pads of Stefanos Lekkas (20 saves) to open the scoring. Gabriel Chabot picked up the secondary assist on the play.

Terrier goalie Jake Oettinger (28-save shutout) preserved the lead later in the frame as he denied UVM during a clean 2-on-0 rush. Rob Hamilton sprung Craig Puffer and Jarrid Privitera into the BU zone alone as the linemates exchanged passes, but Oettinger reacted quickly to make a chest save on Puffer from the low right slot.

Approaching the midway point of the contest, Ross Colton came inches away from equalizing for the Catamounts in the second period. The rookie stole a pass at neutral ice and skated in on a partial breakaway ahead of three Terrier players, only to ring the left post after beating Oettinger blocker side.

Less than a minute into the third period, Clayton Keller added to the Terriers’ lead with a power play goal. After receiving a pass from Patrick Harper in the corner, Keller collected the puck at the top of the circle and fired a wrist shot through traffic that rang off of the pipe and in. Jordan Greenway earned the secondary assist on the play for a 2-0 cushion.

As time expired on a Catamount power play with less than four minutes remaining, BU’s Patrick Curry left the penalty box, picked up the loose puck and raced into the zone and picked out Nick Roberto in the slot to beat Lekkas high glove side.

Brandon Hickey converted a shot from inside his own blue line to seal the win on an empty-netter with 1:23 left in the game. Keller was credited with the assist and his second point of the night.

Vermont finished with a 28-24 edge in shots on goal but suffered its first shutout of the season.

UVM continues an eight-game homestand at Gutterson next weekend when it hosts the 15th-ranked Union Dutchmen for a two-game series on Saturday (Dec. 17) at 7:05 p.m. and Sunday (Dec. 18) at 4 p.m.